2018 has already been an exciting year for Orlando theme parks and we still have 6 months to go! Here is what has already happened, what’s left to come this year and what to expect beyond 2018:
Disney’s Hollywood Studios:
- Toy Story Land opens June 30th at Hollywood Studios
- Toy Story Mania gets a new entrance and third track
- New Adventures from new Star Wars films added to Star Tours The Adventures Continue
- Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway attraction will open in 2019
- Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge will open at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in 2019
- Star Wars Themed Hotel to accompany Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge
- Mission Space got a new “Green” mission
- The American Adventure got refurbished including a new song
- Epcot prepares for a new space restaurant in celebration of the park’s 50th anniversary in 2021
- China Pavilion is getting an updated new seamless Circle-vision show
- France Pavilion will get a new Ratatouille Attraction
- Ellen’s Energy Adventure closed, making way for a brand new Guardians of the Galaxy ride
- In celebration of the park’s 20th anniversary, the new animal show: UP! A Great Bird Adventure has opened
- Donald’s Dino-Bash opened at Dinoland USA with friends Scrooge McDuck, Launchpad McQuack, and others
- Animal Kingdom welcomed the nile hippopotamus, Augustus, weighing in a 168 lbs
- Disney kicked off the Incredible Tomorrowland Expo with your favorite Disney-Pixar Super heroes like Mr. Incredible, Frozone, Edna Mode and others from The Incredibles and Incredibles 2
- “We Want the Red Head” scene was eliminated from Pirates of the Caribbean.
- Magic Kingdom will welcome a new Live entertainment Theater on Main Street USA based on the iconic Willis Theater in 1920s Kansas City.
- The famous Tron attraction at Shanghai Disneyland is coming to Walt Disney World and will be located near Space Mountain.
Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon:
- Disney H2O Glow Nights takes place Thursdays and Saturdays nights only from June 21 to Aug 11th, 8pm-11pm.
- Hyper-reality experience Star Wars: Secrets of the Empire opens
- Steam-punk-styled restaurant “The Edison” opens
- Wine Bar George opened and a new Wolfgang Puck Bar & Grill coming soon
- New Cirque du Soleil show that draws inspiration from Disney’s heritage of animation to open soon
- NBA Experience will open with hands-on activities that put you in the middle of the NBA
- Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort, Disney’s Art of Animation, Disney’s Pop Century, and the new Disney Riviera Resort will open in 2019
- Disney Skyliner will open, connecting those resorts via a new gondola system that will take guest to the entrance of Disney’s Hollywood Studios and the International Gateway at Epcot
- Infinity Falls River Raft Ride opens
- Play in the iconic Sesame Street neighborhood when Sesame Street opens
- The new family raft slide Ray Rush opens.
Adventure Island Water Park:
- Vanish Point opens with three new slides, two Drop slides and a traditional slide
- Family splash ride Roaring Springs opens
- The Great LEGO Race, the World’s first VR Coaster Built for Kids opened
- LEGO NINJAGO: Master of the 4th Dimension opened.
- New Giant LEGO Models, LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens opened at MINILAND USA with a scene from Episode 7.
- LEGOLAND Florida begins offering a wide range of inclusive activities
- In 2019 The LEGO Movie World will open with three new rides, character meet and greets and a giant themed playscape.
- The world’s tallest Swing ride, StarFlyer opened in May
- Madame Tussauds Orlando opens Justice League: Call for Heroes with Batman, Wonder Woman and Superman.
- Margaritaville Resort Orlando set to open this year
- Pirates Dinner Adventure Orlando has their Grand Opening July 4th
- SkyPlex, the entertainment district featuring the 501 foot polercoaster, the 450-foot SkyFall drop tower, a SkyLedge walk, Sky Jump, a 600-foot Skyfly zip line and much more is scheduled to open by 2020.
Brightline’s Commuter Train:
- Construction has not started on the Brightline Commuter train from Orlando to Miami, but when they do it will take about 24 to 30 months to finish. We might see an opening date in 2021.